History and heritage
Tiyul Garden
The first ornamental garden in the modern Land of Israel (on Hanadiv Street)
The garden in the moshava farming village was planted by Baron Rothschild’s clerks, starting in 1886. The gardener began by planting trees around his house, and gradually increased the area of the garden, planting trees, shrubs and flower beds. An ornamental pool was dug in the center of the garden, and gold fish were brought to beautify it. With the baron’s encouragement, the garden was expanded further and opened to the settlers for their relaxation and pleasure. The name is a translation of a Yiddish expression.
In 1970 the garden was redesigned and in 2008 it was rededicated, after extensive renovations.
The baron’s chief clerk, Eliyahu Scheid mentions the garden in his memoirs:
“Behind the gardener’s house was a large empty space. This rock-strewn hillock made him sad. At first, he removed everything that could possibly be moved. Then he instructed workers to make depressions in the porous rocks and fill them with baskets of dirt. Very soon this barren area was replaced by a garden that became a public park, surrounded by fragrant mimosa shrubs. All the tourists and all the government clerks who come to Zichron Yaakov for a few hours cannot stop singing the praises of this truly wonderful creation.”
The garden is open to the public.
Gallery



