History and heritage

Contact::
Anat

Phone number:
00000

Languages Hebrew English

Business Propreties in the open air

Zamarin Hill

Old Zichron

The site originally settled by the founders of Zichron Yaakov, in December of 1882. The land on Zamarin Hill was purchased from a Christian Arab who was the deputy to the French consul in Haifa.

A few families of Arab tenant farmers lived on the hill, but had apparently been there only for five or six years. The hill is rich in archeological artifacts that attest to the settlement of this site in ancient times. The name Zamarin may also be evidence of a Samaritan community there, from the 4th century CE. Another interpretation of the name Zamarin is that it comes from the Arabic word for reed pipe, as there are many groves of reeds here. The early settlers adopted the name Zamarin, as it reminded them of the biblical name Shomron

There are plans to renovate and develop this site for tourism. In the meantime you can walk around the streets and enjoy the scenery and the good food and wine in the restaurants in the unique historic buildings, or participate in an artist’s workshop at one of the handicraft studios.‏

Plaza with sweet mulberry trees

The plaza at the entrance to Zamarin, opposite the Carmel winery

The moshava farming village was founded by a group of Jewish immigrants from Romania, who bought the rocky hill from the deputy French consul in the autumn of 1882. The name Zamarin reminded them of Shomron, so they kept this name for the village they dreamed of building in the land of their forefathers. The few tenant farmers that lived in simple stone buildings on the hillside taught the Romanian immigrants how to clear the rocks, sow seeds and grow wheat for producing flour. Jews living side by side with the Arab farmers was not ideal, but they continued to live here together for nearly 50 years.‏

In 1886 the new moshava was built with financial support from Baron Rothschild, with a long central street for the farmers homes. A large winery was built adjacent to Zamarin, and was named the Carmel winery. Families moved into the houses on the new street, which over the years became known as Old Zichron, as the town grew and new neighborhoods were built.‏

The plaza at the entrance to Zamarin is shaded by mulberry trees the produce abundant sweet fruit from mid-May until mid-June. These trees are a reminder of one of the industries that the baron offered the settlers: raising silk worms for producing silk thread. The mulberry trees were planted for their leaves, for feeding to the worms.

מוזמנים להפנינג חגיגי עם הספר הקסום נגנים ליצנים ודמויות רחוב. הכניסה חינם . יום ראשון ה 24 לחודש מרץ מדרחוב מתחפש
Skip to content